Dr David Jukes, The University of
| ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
Food Law News - FAO / WHO / WTO / Codex - 2015
Codex Meeting Report, 9 – 13 November 2015
CODEX – Codex Committee on Food Hygiene (47th Session)
The full report is available at: Codex Committee on Food Hygiene: 47th Session
The Forty-Seventh Session of the Codex Committee on Food Hygiene reached the following conclusions:
Matters for Adoption by CAC39
Forwarded the following texts for adoption at Step 5/8:
- Proposed draft Guidelines for the Control of Non-typhoidal Salmonella spp. in Beef and Pork Meat (para. 22 and Appendix II);
- Proposed draft Guidelines on the Application of General Principles of Food Hygiene to the Control of Foodborne Parasites (para. 30 and Appendix III);
- Proposed draft Annex I “Examples of Microbiological Criteria for Low-Moisture Foods When Deemed Appropriate in Accordance with the Principles and Guidelines for the Establishment and Application of Microbiological Criteria Related to Foods (CAC/GL 21-1997)” and Annex II “Guidance for the Establishment of Environmental Monitoring Programs for Salmonella spp. and other Enterobacteriaceae in Low-Moisture Food Processing Areas” to the Code of Hygienic Practice for Low-Moisture (para. 41 and Appendix IV).
Forwarded the following text for adoption:
- Proposed draft Annex III “Spices and Dried Aromatic Herbs” to the Code of Hygienic Practice for Low-Moisture (para. 41 and Appendix IV).
Matters for approval by CAC39
Forwarded the following text for revocation:
- Code of Hygienic Practice for Spices and Dried Aromatic Herbs (CAC/RCP 42-1995) (para. 40b).
Forwarded the following project documents for approval as new work:
- Revision of the General Principles of Food Hygiene (CAC/RCP 1-1969) and it’s HACCP Annex (para. 45(c) and Appendix V);
- Revision of the Code of Hygienic Practice for Fresh Fruits and Vegetables (CAC/RCP 53-2003) (para. 46(b) and Appendix VI).
Requests for FAO and WHO scientific advice
The Committee requested FAO and WHO scientific advice on:
- The use of clean, potable and other types of water in the General Principles Food Hygiene and other hygiene texts (para. 47);
- Verotoxigenic E. coli (VTEC) / Shiga toxigenic E. coli (STEC) (para. 49).
Matters Referred to other Committees
Committee on Fish and Fishery Products (CCFFP)
- Endorsed the provisions in the draft codes of practice on the processing of fish sauce and on processing of sturgeon caviar, as submitted by CCFFP24 (para. 5).
Committee on Spices and Culinary Herbs (CCSCH)
- Requested to clarify whether or not dried aromatic herbs encompass dried culinary herbs (para. 38(c)).
Other Matters for information
- Agreed to the amended Forward Workplan for the Committee (para. 52 and Appendix VII).
To go to main Foodlaw-Reading
Index page, click here.