Food Law News - FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex - 2011
14 - 18 November 2011
CODEX – 33rd Session of the Codex Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses, Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany
The Thirty-third Session of the Codex Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses reached the following conclusions:
Matters for consideration by the 35th Session of the Codex Alimentarius Commission
Draft Standards and Related Texts for adoption
- Advanced to Step 5/8 the Proposed Draft Nutrient Reference Values for Nutrients Associated with Risk of Diet-Related Noncommunicable Diseases for General Population (NRVs-NCD) (para. 76 and Appendix III).
- Advanced to Step 5 the Draft Guidelines on Formulated Complementary Foods for Older Infants and Young Children (para. 126 and Appendix IV)
- Forwarded the editorial amendment of the references in food hygiene provisions in the Standard for Canned Baby Foods (CODEX STAN 73-1981) and the Standard for Cereal-Based Foods for Infants and Young Children (CODEX STAN 74-1981) for adoption (para. 15)
Other matters for information
The Committee agreed:
- To return to Step 3 the Proposed Draft General Principles for Establishing Nutrient Reference Values for Nutrients Associated with Risk of Diet-Related Non-communicable Diseases for General Population (NRVs-NCD) for comment, redrafting and consideration at the next session (para. 66 and Appendix V)
- To return to Step 3 the Proposed Draft Additional or Revised Nutrient Reference Values for Labelling Purposes in the Codex Guidelines on Nutrition Labelling (para. 38), Proposed Draft Revision of the Codex General Principles for the Addition of Essential Nutrients to Foods (CAC/GL 9-1987) (para. 79) and Proposed Draft Amendment of the Standard for Processed Cereal-Based Foods for Infants and Young Children (CODEX STAN 74-1981) to Include a New Part B for Underweight Children (para. 129) for redrafting, comments at Step 3 and consideration at the next session
- To consider the revision of the Standard for Follow-up Formula (CODEX STAN 156-1987) (para. 134) and the redrafted list of food additives (para. 8) at its next session
Matters referred to other Codex Committees
The Committee agreed:
- To forward to the Committee on Food Additives two food additives for endorsement (para. 6, Appendix II)
- To forward to the Committee on Food Labelling the comments on the draft definition of NRV (para. 12) and to agree that there was no need to revise the definition of trans-fatty acid (para. 13)
- To ask the Committee on Food Labelling to consider the question of whether to revise section 3.4.4 of the Guidelines on Nutrition Labelling (CAC/GL 2-1985) to insert a reference energy value in nutrition labelling (para. 58).
To go to main Foodlaw-Reading
Index page, click here.