Food Law News - FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex - 2011
Codex Report (REP11/FFV), 2 – 6 May 2011
CODEX COMMITTEE - Report of the 16th Session of the Codex Committee on Fresh Fruits and Vegetables, Mexico City, Mexico
Summary and Conclusions
The 16th Session of the Codex Committee on Fresh Fruits and Vegetables reached the following conclusions:
MATTERS FOR CONSIDERATION BY THE 34TH SESSION OF THE CODEX ALIMENTARIUS COMMISSION
Adoption of draft and proposed draft standards
The Committee agreed to forward:
- the draft Standard for Tree Tomatoes for adoption at Step 8;
- the proposed draft Standard for Chilli Peppers for adoption at Step 5/8 with omission of Step 6/7; and
- the proposed draft Standard for Pomegranate for adoption at Step 5.
Approval of new work
The Committee agreed to request the Commission approval of new work on a Standard for Golden Passion Fruit.
Other matters for consideration
- noted the conclusion of the discussion on the change of the title of “UNECE” to “UN” standards and the recommendation of the Commission as regards cooperation and coordination of work with the UNECE;
- agreed that there was no need to develop specific decision-making and priority setting criteria for the development (including revision and amendments) of Codex standards for fresh fruits and vegetables;
- agreed that the Codex Regional Standard for Chanterelles should be kept regional;
- noted that the timeframe for the finalization of the revision of the Standard for Avocado was 2011 and agreed to retain the draft revised Standard at Step 7 waiting for the finalization of uniformity rules and other size-related provisions at its next session and to inform the Executive Committee accordingly; and
- agreed the Codex and UNECE Secretariats would work on a draft revised layout for Codex standards for fresh fruits vegetables taking into account the 2010 revision of the UNECE layout and highlighting the main differences between Codex and UNECE layouts.
To go to main Foodlaw-Reading
Index page, click here.