Food Law News - FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex - 2010
1 - 5 November 2010
CODEX - 31st Session of the Codex Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses, Santiago, Chile
The summary and conclusions of the 31st Session of the Codex Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses are as follows:
Matters for adoption by the 33rd Session of the Commission:
- advanced to Step 8 the Draft Annex to the Guidelines on Nutrition Labelling: General Principles for Establishing Nutrient Reference Values of Vitamins and Minerals for General Population (para. 37, Appendix II);
- agreed to propose new work on the inclusion of a New Part B for Underweight Children in the Standard for Processed Cereal-Based Foods for Infants and Young Children (CODEX STAN 74-1981) (para.123, Appendix V)
Other Matters of Interest to the Commission
The Committee agreed:
- to request scientific information to WHO/FAO in regard to potential NRVs and to retain the proposed draft additional or revised nutrient reference values for labelling purposes in the Codex Guidelines on nutrition labelling at Step 4 for further consideration taking into account the information to be provided at the next session (para. 50 and Appendix III);
- to return to Step 3 the Proposed Draft Annex to the Codex Guidelines on Nutrition Labelling: General Principles for Establishing Nutrient Reference Values for Nutrients Associated with Risk of Noncommunicable Diseases for the General Population for comment, redrafting and consideration at the next session (para. 111 and Appendix IV);
- to return the proposed draft revision of the Codex General Principles for the Addition of Essential Nutrients to Foods (para. 74, Appendix VII) and proposed draft revision of the Guidelines on Formulated Supplementary Foods for Older Infants and Young Children for redrafting, comments at Step 3 and consideration at the next session (para. 90);
- that the current Nutritional Risk Analysis Principles and the current definition of “hazard” should not be revised (para. 12-13);
- to consider the revision of the Standard for Follow-up Formula at its next session (para. 125).
Matters referred to other Codex Committees
The Committee agreed
- To forward to Codex Committee on Methods of Analysis and Sampling the revised list of methods analysis for dietary fibre (para. 15) and Appendix VI.
To go to main Foodlaw-Reading
Index page, click here.