Food Law News - FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex - 2009
Codex Report (ALINORM 09/32/41), 23 – 27 March 2009
CODEX – Committee on Contaminants in Foods (3 rd Session), Rotterdam, The Netherlands
The Third Session of the Codex Committee on Contaminants in Foods reached the following conclusions:
Matters for consideration by the Codex Alimentarius Commission
Draft and Proposed draft Standards and Related Texts at Steps 8 or 5/8 of the Procedure
The Committee agreed to forward:
- Proposed Draft Revision to the Preamble of the GSCTF at Step 5/8 (para. 45 and Appendix III);
- Draft Code of Practice for the Reduction of Acrylamide in Foods at Step 8 (para. 64 and Appendix IV);
- Draft Code of Practice for the Reduction of Contamination of Food with Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAH) from Smoking and Direct Drying Processes at Step 8 (para. 67 and Appendix V);
- Proposed Draft Code of Practice for the Prevention and Reduction of Ochratoxin A Contamination in Coffee at Step 5/8 (para. 95 and Appendix VI).
Other matters for adoption
The Committee agreed to forward the:
- Amendments to Paragraph 10, Sample Preparation in the Sampling Plans for Aflatoxin Contamination in Ready-to-Eat Treenuts and Treenuts Destined for Further Processing: Almonds, Hazelnuts and Pistachios (para.20 and Appendix II);
Proposals for new work
- The Committee agreed to submit to the Codex Alimentarius Commission, through the Executive Committee, the proposal for the following new work on:
- “Maximum Levels for Fumonisins in Maize and Maize-Products and Associated Sampling Plans” (para. 101 and Appendix VII);
- a “Code of Practice for the Reduction of Ethyl Carbamate in Stone Fruit Distillates” (para. 115 and Appendix VIII);
- a “revision of the Code of Practice for the Prevention and Reduction of Aflatoxin in Tree Nuts (additional measures for Brazil nuts)” (para. 123 and Appendix IX); and
- “Maximum Levels for Melamine in Food and Feed” (para. 126 and Appendix X).
Matters of Interest to the Codex Alimentarius Commission
The Committee agreed:
- not to consider methods of analysis and sampling for certain chemical substances in the Standard for Natural Mineral Waters in view of discussions in the CCMAS (para.8);
- to return the Proposed Draft Maximum Levels for Total Aflatoxins in Brazil Nuts for redrafting, comments and consideration by the next session of the Committee (para. 78).
To go to main Foodlaw-Reading
Index page, click here.