Food Law News - FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex - 2008
Codex Report (ALINORM 09/32/30), 24-28 November 2008
CODEX – Committee on Food Import and Export Inspection and Certification Systems (17 th Session), Cebu, Philippines
The Seventeenth Session of the Codex Committee on Food Import and Export Inspection and Certification Systems reached the following conclusions:
Matters for Adoption / Approval by the 32nd Session of the Commission and for Critical Review by the 62nd Session of the Executive Committee
Proposed draft Standards and Related Texts at Step 8 and 5/8 of the Uniform Procedure
The Committee agreed to forward to the Commission for final adoption:
- the proposed draft Generic Model Official Certificate (Annex to the Guidelines for Design, Production, Issuance and Use of Generic Official Certificates - CAC/GL 38-2001) (N08-2008) (see para. 65 and Appendix II).
The Committee agreed to forward to the Commission, through the Executive Committee, for approval as new work:
- a project document on the development of Principles and Guidelines for National Food Control Systems (see para. 71 and Appendix III).
Other Matters for action and/or information by the 32nd Session of the Commission and the 62nd Session of the Executive Committee
The Committee agreed:
Strategic Plan 2008-2013 – Activity 3.2
- that there was no need to develop specific decision-making and priority-setting criteria for the CCFICS (see para. 8);
- to return the proposed draft principles and guidelines for the Conduct of Foreign On-site Audits and Inspections (N07-2008) to Step 2 for redrafting, circulation for comments at Step 3 and further consideration at Step 4 at the next Session of the CCFICS (see para. 37);
- to recommend to the Commission to request the Codex Committees on Fish and Fishery Products and on Milk and Milk Products to consider revising the Model Certificate for Fish and Fishery Products (CAC/GL 48-2004) and Model Export Certificate for Milk and Milk Products (CAC/GL 67-2008) to ensure consistency with the Generic Model Official Certificate, when adopted (see para. 65);
- to recommended to the Commission to request the FAO/WHO Coordinating Committees to discuss whether there was a need for further guidance on traceability/product tracing (see para. 74).
Physical Working Groups
- to establish a physical working group to prepare revised proposed draft principles and guidelines for the Conduct of Foreign On-site Audits and Inspections (see para. 36);
- to establish a physical working group to prepare proposed draft Principles and Guidelines for National Food Control Systems, subject to the approval of new work by the Commission (see para. 71);
- to discontinue consideration of the discussion paper on intentional contamination of foods (see para. 80).
To go to main Foodlaw-Reading
Index page, click here.