Food Law News - EU - 2007
FSA Information Note, 11 January 2007
CONTAMINANTS - January 2007 update on contaminants in food
For a copy of the update document (pdf file), see: EU Contaminants - January 2007 Update
This update on developing EU policy contains information on on-going and forthcoming issues relating to agricultural, industrial and environmental contaminants in food. Topics covered in the January 2007 update include the following.
General contaminants legislation
- Consolidation of Commission Regulation 466/2001 and a request for comments on Draft Contaminants in Food ( England ) Regulations 2007.
- Commission proposals for maximum levels of cadmium in pine nuts, oil seeds and mushrooms, and an update on cadmium in chocolate.
- An update following the Confederation of the Food and Drink Industries of the EU (CIAA) presentation on the Acrylamide Toolbox and sector-specific brochures.
- An update following the Food and Veterinary Organisation (FVO) mission to the United States regarding aflatoxin contamination in almonds.
- Requests for data on ochratoxin A and nitrates in foodstuffs.
- Updates on the EFSA opinion on aflatoxins, the classification of apricot kernels for the application of legislation, the Fusarium toxin workshop, application of patulin regulations to apple powder, the Commission Recommendation on ergot and discussions on Alternaria toxins.
- Report of discussions on possible actions to take following several notifications of the presence of hydrocyanic acid in bitter apricot kernels intended for human consumption.
- Report of an initial discussion of possible guideline limits for morphine in poppy seeds.
To go to main Foodlaw-Reading
Index page, click here.