Dr David Jukes, The University of
| ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
Food Law News - EU - 2016
DoH Bulletin, 21 December 2016
CLAIMS – Update from the European Commission’s Working Group meeting on health claims, 19th December 2016
A Update has been provided by the UK Department of Health following the meeting on the 19 December. Given below are the headings used in the Update – see the Update for further details. A copy is provided on this site, see Health Claims Update - December 2016
There was discussion on a number of health claims including an update on the caffeine claims, on the use of the term “Probiotic” on foods, on claims made on sports food and young child formulae, and an update on the REFIT evaluation of Regulation 1924/2006 on nutrition and health claims made on food.
- Follow-up discussion on the health claims related to caffeine following the objection of the European Parliament Article 13(3) of Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006
- Discussion on a draft Commission Regulation authorising a health claim related to lactitol and maintenance of normal defecation Article 13(5) of Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006
- Discussion on a draft Commission Regulation refusing to authorise certain health claims made on foods related to low-fat fermented milk with a combination of fructo-oligosaccharides and live Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (ATCC 53103), Streptococcus thermophilus (Z57) and Lactobacillus bulgaricus (LB2), and defence against reactivation of Herpes simplex virus in the orolabial epithelia, to FHI LFC24, a bovine milk-derived casein hydrolysate, and a reduction of post-prandial blood glucose responses and V0137 and ‘a reduced loss of cognitive function Article 13(5) of Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006
- Discussion on a draft Commission Regulation authorising a health claim made on foods and referring to the reduction of disease risk, related to Monacolin K and maintenance of normal blood LDL-cholesterol concentrations Article 14(1)(a) of Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006
- Follow-up on the positions received from Member States on health claims made on foods and referring to children's development and health Article 14(1)(b) of Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006
- Generic Descriptors – Article 1(4) of Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006
- Exchange of views on Natural Mineral Water (NMW) and the use of nutrition and health claims
- Exchange of views on sports food and nutrition and health claims related aspects
- Exchange of views on the application of horizontal rules of EU food law to young-child formulae
- Question regarding the term “diet” or “dietetic”
- Question regarding front of pack nutrition systems
- Question regarding the use of the nutrition claim “Energy-free” and the term “zero calories”
- Question regarding the nutrition claim "NO ADDED SUGARS"
- Update on use of the term “probiotic”
- Update on REFIT evaluation of the Regulation
To go to main Foodlaw-Reading
Index page, click here.